Saturday, September 6, 2008

Who you gonna believe? Me or your Lyin' Eyes?

There is much to be said about the lies and misinformation being trotted out in defense of McCains' pick for the VP slot, much of it is either wishful thinking or just out and out lies. 

The incredible petard being hoisted that Alaska's proximity to Russia somehow confers foreign policy gravitas on Governor Palin is at best laughable and at worst cynical.

There is nothing in Palins' history that would even begin to qualify her for the second most important, and the right of succession, to the highest office in the land. 

I've been trying to wrap my head around the various arguments being bandied about by the right wing of the right wing Republican Party.
  • She's a governor 
  • She was a mayor
  • She was in a beauty contest
  • She's a mom
On the face of it, the first two may in some way qualify her for higher office, that is of course if one ignores what city or town she was mayor of, or the state where she is governor. 

I live in a town of approximately 25000, I know the mayor, and he is hardly qualified to be a VP or to be one step away from the presidency. 

The state of Alaska may be the "largest" state in the Union, but is by far one of the smallest in terms of population and infrastructure. The county of Santa Clara, Ca. has twice the population and I'm pretty sure that it's GDP probably dwarfs that of Alaska. You may correct me if I'm mistaken.

Being a contestant in a beauty pageant only proves one thing, although I'm not sure what.

I'll concede the point that she is a mom, and being a parent is perhaps the most important job in the world, however if that's the rubric by which we measure candidates, then I nominate my mother...

So there you have it.

BTW...six colleges in five years...sheesh.
 

No comments: